The Weston Whirlwinds have been participating in North
American Flyball Association flyball tournaments since 2000.
We currently have 18 dogs at various levels of competition and
training. The mission of the Weston Whirlwinds Flyball Team
is above all to have fun with our canine companions while
training to be the best we can be and exhibiting good
Regular Team Best Time: 17.238 seconds, October 2013 (Gunnar, Mattingly, Finn and Krave, jumping 8 inches).
Multibreed Team Best Time: 18.479 seconds, November 2012 (Mattingly, Eika, Addie, and Zak, jumping 9 inches).
Flyball is a relay race for teams of dogs in which each of the four dogs on a team must run down a 51 foot course, jump four hurdles, trigger a "box" which releases a tennis ball, and return back over the hurdles with the ball. Each dog must run in turn and may not cross the start line before the previous dog has returned.
Races occur between pairs of teams running on parallel courses and are electronically timed; sometimes races are decided by as little as one thousandth of a second.
A fast-paced sport open to dogs of all sizes and breeds, Flyball is unique among dog sports in that it is truly a team sport - all the dogs on the team as well as their handlers must work together in order for the team to be successful.
Santa Paws 2013
Weston Whirlwinds Lightning placed 1st in Regular 2 and
the Hurricanes placed 3rd in Multi 1 at the 2013
Santa Paws Tournament,
Boom Towne Canine Campus in Farmington, NY. The
Hurricanes (Eika, Addie, Torre, and Remi) ran an almost
flawless tournament, scoring 25 points in all but one of
their heats. The Hurricanes (Gunnar, Mattingly, Bella, and
Zak) started out the tournament in fairly ragged fashion by
losing their first race, but then pulled it together to take
the rest of their races in commanding fashion.
Congratulations to Remi for earning his MBMX (Multibreed Master Excellent) title, and for running 4.9 seconds in Single Dog Racing on Friday evening.
As usual we owe many thanks to people from other teams, including Chris and Alyssa from Buffalo Wings who ran Mattingly and Zak, Joel from Buffalo Wings who boxloaded for the Hurricanes, and Piper, junior handler extraordinaire from Buffalo Wings, who ran Torre on Sunday. Thanks also to Keri from Buffalo Wings and Dave Walt from Rocket Relay for calling passes, and to Celeste (a.k.a Stacey's mom) for ball shagging. We couldn't have done it without you!
Pictures from the tournament can be seen here.
A video can be seen here.
2013 Flyball MAINEia
Weston Whirlwinds Lightning placed 3rd in Regular 1 at the
2013 Flyball MAINEia tournament, November 2-3 at the
Boothbay YMCA in Boothbay Harbor, ME. Even though the club
was only running one team, things were "not boring at all"
for the small contingent of Whirlwinds as team members were
kept busy helping other clubs who were in turn helping us -
mostly Canine Mutiny but also Ruff Enuff and we even got
some help from our friends on Prepare for Takeoff (Eika had
a total of 4 different handlers for the weekend, which may
be some sort of club record). Many thanks to all of you for
On the touristy side, some of the team stayed at a new (to us) hotel, the Tugboat Inn, which they highly recommend both for the rooms and for the spectacular views of the harbor.
2013 CanAm Classic
What a weekend! The Weston Whirlwinds traveled to the 2013
CanAm Classic tournament, October 18-20 at the Indianapolis
State Fairgrounds in Indianapolis, IN. This year the club
had three teams running, the most ever for us, and it was
great to have a big group there - some of us for the first
time - to enjoy the festivities.
First some THANKS:
- NAFA - thank you for putting on such an amazing
event. We can't believe how smoothly 7 rings ran. All 3
days ended much earlier than we anticipated. We loved
all the welcome gifts and awards. We are always amazed
at how the head table run by Sam, Dale and Karen runs so
smoothly and they keep up with the schedule and
paperwork for 7 rings. All of the board members worked
so hard to make this event such a success and we can't
thank them enough!
- Judges - All the judges did an amazing job of
keeping the racing moving and representing the sport in
such a positive and professional manner. NAFA does have
the best judges and we were honored to have 2 of them
representing Region 13, including our very own Cindy
Henderson. Congrats to Toby Emo and to Cindy for such
an amazing job judging and racing all weekend.
- Friends - we could not have raced without the
help of many friends. Buffalo Wings, Fast n Furious, and
Canine Mutiny in particular were a tremendous help to us
running dogs, boxloading, pass calling, and ball
shagging and just being there to cheer us on. We really
couldn't have done it without your help. It is this
aspect of Flyball that we love the most - the
sportsmanship and the friendship amongst all the teams that
are always willing to help each other out. THANK YOU
just isn't enough! We also had the pleasure of making
new friends during our basket exchange with the All
Rev'd Up team from Florida; you all outdid yourselves
with the amazing basket of custom made items - we loved
- Racing Teams - thank you to all the teams we raced
with this weekend in Regular, Multi and Open. We had such
a great time racing with all of you. The racing was so
close it was truly exciting and you helped push our dogs
to new levels - thank you all!
- 65,388 steps walked by Cindy judging and racing from Friday to Sunday - that's almost 30 miles!
- 5706 cumulative miles driven by our team from Massachusetts to Indiana.
- 1112 races completed over the course of the 3 days (and in record time).
- 17.238 - New Club Best time! The team consisted of Gunnar (Giant Schnauzer handled by Stacey Manley), Mattingly (Border Collie handled by Kevin Lucin), Finn (Boston Terrier handled by Angelica Parker), and Krave (Border Collie handled by Kerry Lallier) over 8 inches. 16 seconds isn't that far away!
- 12 Weston Whirlwinds dogs participating in this event (the most ever for our club!)
- 7 rings racing at one time (WOW - it was pretty amazing).
- 3 second place finishes by our teams (Saturday our Regular and Multi teams both took 2nd place in their divisions and on Sunday our Open team took 2nd place in their division).
- 2 first place finishes by our teams (Friday our Regular team took 1st place in their division and on Saturday our Open team took 1st place in their division).
- 2 titles earned by dogs on our team (Zak earned his FMX (10,000 points) and Torre earned her Flyball Dog Grand Champion 30,000 title).
CanAm 2013 by the Numbers
Pictures of the tournament can be seen here.
A video of the tournament can be seen here.